Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Saratoga Recap (another reason why I love running)

Reason 8,889 why I love running....winning free trips to Saratoga Springs just because I ran a few races!! This past summer I participated in the NYS Parks Summer Run Series and after every race they raffle off an all expense paid weekend to the very fancy Gideon Putnam Resort for free!!! Technically I didn't win, but my friend did and transferred the trip to me, which I guess is like winning, just in a different way. Anyway, I took my mom with me and we had an absolutely wonderful weekend.

Although the weekend is all about running (after all, everyone who was there was there because they ran in the series) I managed to have a lot of non running fun...shopping, great food and an awesome mineral bath at the Roosevelt Baths. The only downside (if you could even call it that) was the weather...it was FREEZING!! I don't think it ever went above 22 degrees!

Most of my club was there which was nice, I had a built in running group at all times. On Sat. morning there was a 5k in the beautiful Saratoga State Park trails. I ran pretty conservatively because of the uneven terrain (I'm still waaaay too cautious with the knee) finishing in 28:45 which I was really happy with.

All in all it was a really fun trip, and the price was right! It was so good that mom is even considering participating in the series next year so she can possibly win the weekend.

No comments: