Friday, April 15, 2011

Update on "The Coach"

I met with my buddy Bob last night to talk about coaching....finally! This is something I have been thinking about for awhile, but didn't really see a need for it. Now that I'm in the holy grail of marathons (NYC) I know that I need more than a down-loadable plan and a few running buddies.

The whole thing is pretty exciting, I basically have to do a formal intake (on paper) of my goals, races I want to do, the types of cross training I want to incorporate...all the good stuff, then coach (wee, I get to call Bob coach now!) will magically whip up a plan that I will do my best to follow. Those who know me, know that I have a hard time with accountability and follow through, don't get me wrong, I'm usually working out, but when it comes to training, I think I fall flat because I'm not sure what I'm doing, hence the coach.

After speaking with a few people, some who think coaching is a waste, others who are like "use me I'm an Iron Man", I'm pretty happy with my decision...one of the cool things about Bob is that he is local, as are most of his athletes, so there is a chance to meet and train together, something that I am definitely looking forward to.

1 comment:

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Wow, that's awesome. Good luck! I struggle with accountability too. More like commitment! I hate to commit or to HAVE to do something...I'm better off just flying by the seat of my pants, but that's exactly why I make myself commit to races, because once I complete one I feel like less of a slacker. Like there's hope for me to change that flaw. So glad you stopped by my new blog, I'm anxious to read more of yours. :)