Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Another PR!

I'll take any PR, even little 10 second ones, but it's the bigger ones that really get me going!

Sunday I ran the Evelyn Knapp Memorial Run which is one of my all time favorites. I ran this last year as well, so I knew the course pretty well and I had a little plan in my head. It's hilly cross country course with 2 killer hills: suicide and cardiac, but also a few forgiving flats and downhills. They switched things up so the 2 hills were basically back to back, which both sucked and was ok, after cardiac I knew it would be easy peasy so I could bust out my faster pace, but those 2 in a row are hard on the legs and lungs!

First mile I tried to run conservatively, I'm really working on negative splits and not burning out. Even though this was only a 5k, I didn't want to go balls to the wall then walk the end. My first mile was I think a 9 minute pace, 2nd mile closer to 11 because of the hills, mile three was in the 8's - I was flying and feeling really good. Overall, I think my strategy worked. I ended up with just over a 1 minute PR and the cool thing is that I felt like I could have maintained that 8ish pace for a few more miles. I'm still amazed that I'm speedy after all that marathon training!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Congrats on your PR! That's fantastic after the marathon :)