Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Race Weekend Recap

This weekend was amazing for running, 50 degree temps, not too windy, perfect for 2 back to back races! And I wore shorts!

Saturday I ran the Joe Kleinerman 10k in Central Park. The park is probably my favorite place to run, even with all the hills! Good thing I like a good incline because the course was definitely challenging. It was good training for the Manhattan Half which is coming up and I believe is basically 2 loops around the upper section of the park.

I'm not great with course descriptions, but this guy did a pretty good job laying it out.

I went in with Running Partner Sheila and we had a blast. We were late and couldn't find parking, then thought we found the jackpot spot right at the entrance only to get a ticket! It was $40 so I'm not complaining and the spot was still worth it since we were so late, still had to pee and could hear the Star Spangle Banner being sung! Next race we will get in a little earlier for sure.

Overall I ran really well, finished in 59:29 and all my splits were within 10 seconds of each other which made me really happy considering the elevation changes. The only negative was I really felt my knee turn to shit around mile 6. Damn you bad knee!

Sunday was the first of the Winter Run Series. Nothing too spectacular, just a 5k loop around Heckscher park. I took this very slow, ran a 10 minute pace because of my knee. I probably shouldn't have ran at all, but I'm a sucker for a race, plus I'm cheap and had already paid for the series and am missing the last race. I also signed up with one of my besties so I didn't want to bail on her.

Hey D!


The plan was to not run fast, at all, just enjoy the scenery and bail if I needed to. I felt pretty good and at the 2nd mile marker decided to finish it out. Once it was over I ran into my friends, grabbed ice and chilled for a bit by the beach. Perfect way to end a race!

I always say this, but I'm really fortunate to live in an area where there are multiple races happening all weekend, and sometimes during the week. The LI/NYC running community is really amazing when it comes to racing and fun runs.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Congrats on the back to back races. Hope that knee is feeling better.